The 2022 Cotswolds Sloe Gin Competition will take place at The Fox Inn at Broadwell on Saturday 5th February 2022 at 7.30pm.
Anyone can enter; you just need to bring a 300ml bottle of your home-made fruity booze for tasting on the night.
The categories will be:
- Sloe Nouveau (Sloe Gin made from the 2021 Sloe Crop)
- Vintage (Sloe Gin made before 2021)
- Fruity Tipple (Any other spirit infused with fruit, eg limoncello, bramble gin, marmalade vodka etc).
It will be free to enter your bottle. And whether you enter the competition or not you can come and taste the gins. There will be prizes and all profits will go to charity.
This is a fun competition, aimed at being a social event for those in the area who wish to share their home-steeped fruity alcohol with others.
The judging will be done by those attending the event on the night and prizes will be awarded in each category.
- Competitors should bring a 300ml bottle of their tipple to the pub by 7pm on the evening of the 5th February 2022. Entrants can pre-register their entry by bringing it to The Fox Inn, Broadwell in the week before the competition. All bottles should be labelled with the name of the entrant, the nature of the tipple (sloe/other fruit) and the vintage of the tipple (nouveau or vintage). Please note there will be a maximum of 35 entries, which will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The competition is divided into three categories:
– Sloe Nouveau: any sloe gin made from the 2021 sloe harvest
– Sloe Vintage: any sloe gin made in 2020 or earlier
– Fruity Tipple: any fruit-steeped spirit (e.g. limoncello, bramble vodka, rhubarb gin, cherry brandy, chilli grappa etc.)
- It is free to enter your tipples into the competition.
- Competitors may make more than one entry
- A judging card can be purchased in the Fox Inn on the night for a minimum donation of £5 per person for which you will receive a scorecard. All money raised from the event will go to Maggie’s, Cheltenham, a charity that provides support to those affected by cancer.
- Only those people with scorecards will receive a taster of each competition entry.
- The scorecard allows you to judge each tipple between 1 and 5 (a score of 5 being the highest).
- Scores will be added up by the organisers and the winners will be decided on the night, as the entries which receive the highest overall marks on the scorecards.
- There will be prizes for the winning entries.
- Tables can be booked in advance of the competition. Please contact The Fox Inn to secure a table.
- Due to the busyness of the event, food will be limited on the evening of the 5th to sharing platters which can be ordered from the bar staff.